Here are a few highlights from the last year for Falcon Artists & their ArtLadyHBK:
- Creation of the smART SPOT- Thanks to a Lowe's Grant worth $5000 and an Harrisonburg Educational Foundation Grant worth $1500 I was able to create a gallery space outside of the art room in an under utilized space. The space is still developing and will grow to be an inspiration for our school.
- iPADS have now become an essential tool in the art room thanks to a Harrisonburg City Public School Tech Grant. In the fall of 2014 and throughout 2015 the iPads became a tool students used on a daily basis for creation, research, learning, assessment and sharing their work.
- Art Shows- Falcon Artists had their work displayed at the Youth Art Month Show, Winning the Middle Division YAM Flag Design for VAEA, and in Roanoke for the VAEA Fall Conference. While students shared their teacher took part in a HCPS Art Teacher show, the Larkin Arts Deck Show and had two paintings published in the book "If Picasso Went to the Zoo"
- The year was filled with opportunities to share all the learning and events happening at Skyline Middle School through presentations for The Virginia Center for Excellence in Teaching- smART Technology, NAEA15 in New Orleans, LA- TEAM Middle & #artsedPLN, VAEA15 in Roanoke, VA- Fulbright-Hays Seminar to China & #artsedPLN, and presenting on behalf of PBS Digital Learning Media at the Bridgewater ShareFair event.
- Personal highlights of the year included the life changing experience to travel to China for five weeks to learn about the culture, arts and people of China, being recognized as the VAEA Middle Level Teacher of the Year and the Skyline Middle School Teacher of the Year.
The year ahead gives us all an opportunity to dream, improve and grow. May you all find new experiences that will inspire a creative filled future!